Sunday 27 May 2012

RAN FOR A REASON

Amazing what a difference a few weeks can make. I came away from Busso 70.3 a few weeks ago devastated with my result after putting all my eggs in one basket racing-wise over the last few months. Although, the overall race didn't turn out as planned, I tried to stay optimistic by focusing on the positives of the race which included not much else other than a fast first 40K on the bike close to my PB shape. I managed to hang in with Matty White (who ended up with a bike split of 2.06) for the first part of the race which, in hindsight wasn't best plan and then limped into the finish line in a very ordinary time of about 4.15. Despite the disappointing result, I still felt that I was relatively fit and decided to join my training group for some of the quality run sessions over the last few weeks in an attempt to gain much needed leg speed for Run For Reason 14K this morning.

The plan was simple. Run as conservatively as possible for as long as possible whilst maintaining contact with the leaders and then if I'm still feeling good, put in an attack in the final stages of the race. The pace for the first 4-5K was very fast and dictated by Neil Berry. The group significantly reduced in size from about 15 guys at the start to a smaller group of 5 at the 5K mark heading into the tunnel. Neil continued to surge and I ended getting dropped temporarily. Coming out of the tunnel there is a slow rise and I managed to get back on to Neil and Tom heading into the easterly breeze. Neil and Tom continued to maintain a strong pace until about the 11K mark when the pace started to slow a little. Knowing that I was never going to win a sprint finish against these "track guys" I decided to kick down the pace heading up the slight rise over the causeway with 2K. Once I knew I had a gap I continued to lift the pace and give it my last "do or die" effort towards the finish line. Coming into the stadium leading the race of 20,000 was definitely my best running result to date.

Also very happy with my training group over the last few days with some solid results in both the State Schools Cross Country Champs (1st Leighton Cook in the 15 yr boys 4000m) and some solid results today by Mikala, Jesse and Troy in the 4K event. WELL DONE GUYS!!!!!!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/national/13790787/fun-run-raises-record-718-321-for-charity/

1 comment: